Dawn of the Deadlines @kendrawcandraw Kendra. Comic artist, illustrator. Owns a sword. "Tell No Tales" Abrams, 2020. "Real Hero Shit" ICC, 2022. Rep: @msmariavicente They/them. May. 12, 2019 1 min read

I get why people try to "ah-ha!" their way around abortion laws, like with sex strikes or saying men should pay child support starting at conception and all, but it doesn't matter. They don't actually care. The cruelty is the point, the control is the point

If it was actually about saving babies, a single one of these pro-life politicians would be in favor of maternity leave or childcare or healthcare to help pay for these very expensive pregnancies. But they don't, because it's not about that

"It doesn't make sense that they want to outlaw both abortion AND contraception!" It does actually! Because the point is controlling and punishing women for having sex. That is the entire point. The end

The freedom to choose whether or not you want to have a child allows you to be in the workforce, it allows you to travel, it allows you to make choices for yourself and make your own money and live on your own terms and these dudes fucking hate the shit out of that

Also: The rich and privileged will always have safe access to abortion. The wives of pro-lifers have always secretly been able to abort. The bans are for controlling the poor and the marginalized and everyone else the rich and privileged benefit from keeping down.

This is the second time this week I've tweeted a long ass abortion thread before getting up and having coffee but it's when I'm at my softest and angriest

You can follow @kendrawcandraw.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.