1) For no reason at all, my ordinal ranking of the 5 best TMT acquisitions over the last 20 years from both a financial and strategic perspective. 1) $BKNG http://Booking.com 2) $GOOGL Android. 3) $FB Instagram. 4) $GOOGL Youtube. 5) $DIS Marvel.
2) Priceline bought http://Booking.com for $135m in cash in July 2005. Today, http://Booking.com accounts for north of 85% of $BKNG’s $80b market cap. So roughly a 500x increase in value and the company would likely not exist today absent this acquisition.
3) $GOOGL buying Android for $50m in July 2005. Ex this, suspect $AAPL would be 2-3xish larger today. Difficult to imagine any of the other competitors - or Android alone - succeeding. In this case, sites TAC would be 1.5x-2.5xish higher & the stock would be 30-50%ish lower.
4) So Android was a 4800 to 8000xish increase in value for $GOOGL & likely the best acquisition ever from this perspective, but much less existential for $GOOGL than Priceline’s acquisition of http://Booking.com .
5) BTW – obviously wide variance around the estimated increase in value! Goldman estimated $12b in 2019 TAC to $AAPL – doubling this to $24b would cut EBIT by more than $35%. Simple, crude analysis that I look forward to having refined by Twitter.
6) $FB buying Instagram for $1b in April 2012. $FB would likely be a sub $100 stock without IG given engagement trends at the core Facebook app and consequent multiple compression, so 200-250xish increase in value.
Funny to remember the criticism of $FB at the time!
7) $GOOGL buying Youtube for $1.65b in October, 2006. Up 75x-150x in value, but not nearly as strategically/existentially important as the http://Booking.com , Android or Instagram acq’s.
Also funny to remember the criticism of $GOOGL at the time.
8) Incidentally, I think hitting it out of the park with Android and Youtube has paralyzed $GOOGL BD. It feels like they don’t want to risk ruining their track record and have been very risk averse when it comes to large acquisitions over the last 5-7 years. Slack!
9) And at #5, $DIS buying Marvel for $4.25b in August, 2009. At best a 10-25x and while of critical strategic importance, it is not as existentially important to $DIS as http://Booking.com , Android and Instagram although more important than Youtube.
10) No idea why I wrote this up on a Sunday morning other than having recently read comparisons of $DIS buying Marvel to $FB buying Instagram, which got me thinking.
Interesting that 4 of the 5 best acquisitions (IMHO) were either ignored or widely mocked and criticized.
11) $AMZN buying Twitch would be the runner up btw. While likely financially better than Marvel, not nearly as strategically important to $AMZN.
Curious if I missed any really great acquisitions that should've been on this list.
You can follow @GavinSBaker.
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.
Enjoy Threader? Sign up.
Since you’re here...
... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.