Rand Fishkin @randfish Founder @SparkToro, husband to @everywhereist, feminist, he/him, author of Lost & Founder. Formerly @Moz. I tweet ~40X/wk on marketing, tech, & startups. May. 13, 2019 1 min read

GG/Amzn/Appl: XX% of searches are now done with voice.
Marketers: Ah! This changes everything! What's our strategy?!
Me: Meh. Voice search doesn't matter.
Marketers: WHAT??! Are you mad?!
Me: What's the difference btwn getting a screen of results from voice vs. keyboard input?
/1

Marketers: Well... It's something big! Voice search is big!
Me: I don't think it matters at all.
Marketers: But... But... Every session at every conference is all about how voice search will change everything?!
Me: Just like how mobile-first was gonna change everything?
/2

Me: Look, if what you're *actually* worried about is voice answers, i.e. spoken results with no screen of choices, that's a different story, but no one's giving data on what % of queries those are, or whether they're cannibalistic vs. additive to the search pie as a whole.
/3

Marketers: Well... Maybe. But, I'm still gonna go to that session about voice search changing everything.
Me: Cliff Notes--They're gonna say featured snippets are important, and show you ways to get 'em.
Marketers: Well... Maybe. But there must be more to it?!
Me: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You can follow @randfish.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.