Charity Majors @mipsytipsy CTO @honeycombio, ex-Parse, Facebook, Linden Lab; cowrote Database Reliability Engineering; loves whiskey, rainbows. I test in production and so do you. 🌈🖤 May. 16, 2019 1 min read

oooohhh goody... @maplebed takes you to school in scaling production db loads, and shows you ✨exactly✨ how much headroom we were able to buy ourselves using @honeycombio. Not bad for an hour's work.  https://www.honeycomb.io/blog/stop-your-database-from-hating-you-with-this-one-weird-trick/ 

key takeaway: when should you as startup developers switch from writing code to paying down some db perf debt? a good rule of thumb is, when your cpu hits 40% utilization.  https://www.honeycomb.io/blog/stop-your-database-from-hating-you-with-this-one-weird-trick/ 

this shit takes me way back. i first fell in love with this tooling when i was working on db perf, using mongodb at parse.

that was... five years ago?

it changed my life. being able to sum up and break down things like lock time held, raw and normalized queries, etc ... just look at the crisp, clear handful of graphs in this post, and the easy way they tell a story.

when you can see wtf is going on, everything gets easier.

when you know what to fix, fixing is easy.

the hard part isn't fixing the problem, it's finding what problem to fix.

and if you can't even clearly inspect the problem, you're just stabbing and guessing (and praying you hit a vital organ, that doesn't belong to an ally).

when you don't have tooling that engineers can use to inspect the problem and see the impact of their code, then you're reduced to peering at the tea leaves of time series aggregates and leaning on the intuition of a specialized ops priesthood to explain mysterious behaviors.

how many times do i have to say this? ✨the way you're doing things now is the hard way.✨

how many hours of work would it take your team to do what ben just did in an hour? would you have the same level of confidence?

You can follow @mipsytipsy.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.