Katie Mack @AstroKatie (a.k.a. Dr Katherine J Mack) astrophysicist/cosmologist, occasional freelance science writer, connoisseur of cosmic catastrophes May. 20, 2019 1 min read

Twitter app tip: if you want to see chronological tweets and NOT to have people’s likes and random replies pushed into your timeline, tap the ✨ on the top right and switch to Latest Tweets. Annoyingly, there’s no way to prevent your OWN likes being pushed to others’ timelines

I miss the days when Twitter took “I’m following this person” to mean “I would like to see their tweets and retweets” and not “please do everything in your power to display to me every thought and whim they have had in their lives up to now”

A few weeks ago, I clicked like on a funny cartoon tweet about a cat or something and that somehow pushed to everyone’s timeline and in response one of my followers yelled at me for promoting the political opinions of the cartoonist. So much fun.

So anyway there are methods for changing what you SEE on Twitter but absolutely no way to change the fact that every single interaction you have might (or might not!) end up pushed to your whole follower list in a way that is uncontrollable and invisible to you. Enjoy!

You can follow @AstroKatie.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Become member.