Amir Salihefendić+ Your Authors @amix3k Remote-first Founder/CEO of @doist, the company behind @todoist and @usetwist. Born in Bosnia 🇧🇦, grew up in Denmark 🇩🇰, 2x dad 😊 May. 24, 2019 1 min read + Your Authors

A few months ago, I stopped developing core things. Doist was 60 people at the time. I have tried to quit dev work two times before, without success. Some thoughts on making hard transitions. 1/8

The backstory is that I love to develop and create stuff. I have done it on most weekdays (and sometimes on weekends) since I was 12. It's just something I enjoy doing, and this is why this transition was so hard for me. 2/8

I never aspired to be a CEO or a leader. It was something that the context forced on me as things began to evolve. At some point, I figured out that the only way I can create a significant impact in the world is via teamwork, which is why I started to hire people. 3/8

At around 50 people, I noticed that things weren't working that well. There was a lot of misalignment, missing deadlines, miscommunication, and general chaos. A lot of this was my fault since a lot of this was my core responsibility. 4/8

As the company grows, you must grow with it. Growing a company is hard, but growing and changing yourself is even harder. We must make changes that hurt. 5/8

What made my transition out of development possible is the realization of what my job is. My job is to empower others and do things that are good for the company. 6/8

I am still on this journey, but honestly, I don't even miss development that much. The core reason is that I am helping almost 70 other people succeed in their work, and we help the world work and live in more fulfilling ways. Realizing this makes the transition much easier. 7/8

There isn't much written about this subject, but I hope my story can help you make hard transitions. From my experience, it's all about perspective and how you frame things. 8/8

You can follow @amix3k.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader