Will Oremus @WillOremus oh-REE-mus. Senior writer for OneZero at @medium: onezero.medium.com/ Previously: @slate. I write about how tech shapes us. DM for Signal. May. 29, 2019 1 min read

Twitter is commissioning academic research into the question of whether it should get rid of the Nazis.  https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/ywy5nx/twitter-researching-white-supremacism-nationalism-ban-deplatform 

It sounds like a punchline, and yes they should have started this long ago. But I do appreciate that Twitter puts serious thought into these decisions and doesn't pretend to have all the answers, like some social networks I can think of.

TWITTER USERS: jack, get rid of the nazis!!!
JACK: *strokes chin pensively* hmmm
[three years pass]
TWITTER: we have decided after intense deliberation to undertake a process of intense deliberation as to the pros and cons of getting rid of the nazis

You can follow @WillOremus.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.