Yashar Ali 🐘 @yashar New York Magazine/HuffPost Contributor Email: [email protected] Direct Messages Open Text/Call/Signal/Confide/WhatsApp: 310-795-2497. Agents: UTA May. 30, 2019 1 min read

1. Something I will never get...why brands pay celebrities a lot of money to do sponsored Instagram posts only to strip away what makes people follow that celebrity to begin with. For example, (insert celebrity name here) has a charming, vulnerable Instagram presence

2. Their natural messiness makes people feel close to them and want to engage. But then when they do an AD post the caption sounds so scripted & unlike them

Something like this

"I don't know about you, but when I'm busy with the kids, I don't want to cook, so I always order..."

3. The rate of engagement on those posts is always dramatically lower than the engagement on unsponsored posts, I refuse to believe it's effective strategy to make someone sound unlike themselves.

4. This isn't about blaming celebs for bad copy...and I take no issue with sponsored posts. I'm wondering why a company would pay someone a lot of money to do something ineffective! It's just so foolish.

You can follow @yashar.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.