Charity Majors @mipsytipsy CTO @honeycombio, ex-Parse, Facebook, Linden Lab; cowrote Database Reliability Engineering; loves whiskey, rainbows. I test in production and so do you. 🌈🖤 May. 31, 2019 1 min read

I have been waiting so long for this piece to come out for *so long*, so I can link to it every time someone asks me how they can adopt end-to-end software ownership or why it matters. 💫 by @lizthegrey. 🦋⚡️ Read it. ☄️ https://www.infoq.com/articles/production-excellence-sustainable-operations-complex-systems/ 

In short, you ...

* cannot silo off operations from development. they are two phases of the same lifecycle.
* cannot just drop pagers in your devs lap and wish them well
* should not accept a shitty, scary prod environment as the status quo.

instead, you should embrace production excellence.

* measure what matters. please your users and avoid petty squabbles over where time is spent.
* debug with observability, not monitoring and pagebombs
* bring the team along with you. these skills can be taught; they must be.

finally, you must:

embrace the fact that everything is failing all the time -- and it's okay! we build for resiliency, not uptime.

overcome your entrenched beliefs that *this is a job that just sucks*. no it does not. it should not, it ought not, it must not. don't let it.

You can follow @mipsytipsy.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.