Yashar Ali 🐘+ Your Authors @yashar New York Magazine/HuffPost Contributor Email: [email protected] Direct Messages Open Text/Call/Signal/Confide/WhatsApp: 310-795-2497. Agents: UTA Jun. 05, 2019 1 min read + Your Authors

I have several friends who have children with autism. I've learned from them that many people with autism prefer "[person] with autism" over saying that someone is "autistic."

But it appears that many news orgs haven't adopted that shift.

2. And yet I'm told by some that adults with autism prefer "autistic," over the people first approach. This is a helpful conversation to have and learn from!

3. How should news organizations handle this in your mind?

4. The replies to this thread are so helpful. So the general consensus appears to be to ask the individual. Does anyone want to suggest orgs that reporters can reach out to?

5. Thread by @stevesilberman

6. From @kendallybrown

You can follow @yashar.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader