Charity Majors @mipsytipsy CTO @honeycombio, ex-Parse, Facebook, Linden Lab; cowrote Database Reliability Engineering; loves whiskey, rainbows. I test in production and so do you. 🌈🖤 Jun. 12, 2019 1 min read

never forget that i am not a mathematician or a capital-e Engineer, i am ops to the bone. the only definition i care about is the one that helps me understand ✨real production systems✨. theory schmeary.

(two days later, she remembers to complete her thought)

i don't know how the theory of systems controllability and its mathematical dual, systems observability, would look when applied to modern production systems.

to me it's like asking how one might calculate the nth order derivative of a hairball you found under your bed.

i do know what characteristics you need in *reality* to understand what's happening on the internals of your systems, by observing them from the outside:

* raw events of arbitrary width
* aggregate at read time
* no indexes r--

... aw hell i've given this list so many times

i look forward to whatever formal proofs may come and improve upon my empirical, experience-based list, and can't wait to see what i've missed.

✌️💘

You can follow @mipsytipsy.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.