Rand Fishkin @randfish Founder @SparkToro, husband to @everywhereist, feminist, he/him, author of Lost & Founder. Formerly @Moz. I tweet ~40X/wk on marketing, tech, & startups. Jun. 12, 2019 1 min read

Related to the upcoming antitrust investigation of Google, assistant AG's comments today (via  https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/11/makan-delrahim-speech-lays-groundwork-for-antitrust-versus-big-tech.html ) make a few things clear:
- Price is *not* the only way consumers are harmed
- Acquiring purely to maintain a monopoly is anti-competitive
/1

- "Even if a company achieves a monopoly through legitimate means, it cannot take actions that do not advance plausible business goals but make it harder for competition to catch up"
- Diminished quality is a type of harm to competition (he mentions "privacy" specifically)
/2

My personal opinion -- these statements, as quoted, suggest an intelligent, nuanced, and almost certainly damning position if applied fairly to Google, Facebook, Amazon, and Apple. Whether lobbying & politics interferes, however, is harder to say (I'm not optimistic).
/fin

You can follow @randfish.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.