Jeremy Duns @JeremyDuns Author of Free Agent, Song of Treason, The Moscow Option, Spy Out The Land and non-fiction Dead Drop. Simon & Schuster UK/Penguin US. Agent: @GreeneandHeaton Jun. 12, 2019 4 min read

I had to just double-check that Así se domina el mundo was the same book as How They Rule The World. The English edition has omitted things that were in the Spanish edition, but also added material. I don't think Penguin has really looked at this properly, as they claim.

In fact, I think they've whitewashed this antisemite's repeated theories in the book to launch it in the UK.

Let me try to do some of the due diligence Penguin says they've done. Let's start with the fact that there are 14 references to George Soros in the Spanish edition - but only eight in the English one. Here's an excerpt from the Spanish edition: note Soros in the heading.

That heading means 'The power of large global pressure groups: Soros'. The whole of this part - three and a half pages on my Kindle - is only about Soros. Now here's the same part of the book in the English edition:

Let's compare these two extracts. We can start from before the heading, in fact, where we see that the sentence claiming the UN Security Council serving 'to achieve this goal of distributing pockets of violence as far as possible from the populations of its permanent members'.

Why was that cut? Perhaps because that sounded a bit *too* cranky and bonkers for British audiences. I think this is confirmed by the Soros pages. You can see his name now isn't in the headline. He's just an example, too, not an excellent one. Small, but these change the nuance.

It gets much worse, though. In the original Spanish, Baños claims Soros (in the heading, and the only topic) manipulates public opinion through the media. In the English version, he is one example of pressure groups that 'seek to influence' public opinion and events.

In the Spanish version of the book, we have a sentence that reads 'Famous for being enriched by causing the bankruptcy of the Bank of England in 1992, Soros controls a worldwide network of non-governmental organizations located in some forty countries.'

In the English version, we can see this has become 'Soros is a financial speculator who now runs a global network of non-governmental organisations located in some forty different countries, funnelling money into a range of different organisations...

...from the American Democratic Party to pro-Palestinian groups and the Black Lives Matter movement.' There's some bad editing going on here - two uses of the word 'different', both unnecessary, but of course some larger issues.

The Spanish version makes one think of Soros in much more unpleasant terms, starting as it does with him enriching himself by bankrupting the Bank of England, totally omitted from the English. And 'controls' and 'runs' aren't quite the same.

The addition of Black Lives Matter and other groups in this way also makes Soros seem rather more reasonable to British readers than in the Spanish. Ebury have toned all of the conspiracism down several notches - 'crankwashing' the book.

In the Spanish original, Baños dedicates three pages to the DCLeaks about Soros, discussing them in detail and quoting from them. The English version cuts most of the detail and doesn't. Neither is any of this stuff about Orban mentioned in the English version:

Despite Baños repeating all the usual stuff in the book about states using propaganda as a weapon, in the Spanish version he comes to the conclusion that everyone, as usual, paid too much attention to who hacked Soros and not the content. Fancy that.

Incidentally, here he is interviewing a well-known neo-Nazi about media manipulation  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6ii7EY07UM 

This section in the English version ends with some balance: it's not just Soros as an example, but also Robert Mercer and Cambridge Analytica. British readers will be reassured by the balance - but not a word of this is in the Spanish original.

In December 2017, Baños said this in an interview:
(Translation from here:  https://www.fort-russ.com/2017/12/rothschild-family-russias-fault-for 
Original here:  https://www.elboletin.com/mvc/amp/noticia/157103 )

He's claimed the Rothschilds are a secretive power that dominates the world (part of the 'they' in 'How They Rule The World') in at least three other interviews, and in his book (in the Spanish edition, but not the English one).

While it's possible he edited the English version himself to remove references to his theories about the Rothschilds and George Soros, Orban's hatred of Soros, and so on, and added in some stuff about Mercer and Cambridge Analytica - I somehow very much doubt it.

I've looked at three pages in this thread. I can already see much more at a glance, Instead of pretending to do due diligence here, how about *actually doing it*?

You can follow @JeremyDuns.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.