Carole Cadwalladr @carolecadwalla Late adopter. Late giver-upper. Guardian & Observer writer. Jun. 12, 2019 1 min read

Tonight, I mingled with the 1%. The cream of British tech.(No names: Chatham House rules.) Including someone I’ve admired from a distance. Can I talk to you about Brexit, I asked? And why we need the truth. And - crucially - the data. Reader, the conversation did not go well...1/

‘It is ridiculous to suggest vote was rigged! It’s like Trump. People want to believe fairy tales. The truth is we lost because we were not good enough.’ Yes, I said. That’s very likely true. But also: it was rigged. Well not ‘rigged’ but we know illegal activity took place.. 2/

‘I saw your video,’ this person of very great but un-nameable influence said. ‘So ridiculous! This town in Wales who voted to leave. You are telling people they are stupid. It’s horrible.’ They aren’t stupid, I said. That’s literally the exact opposite of what I believe. 3/

So good for them. We all have opinions. But what we need are facts. To know what actually happened. And whether an election - elections, multiple, across the globe - were ‘rigged’ or not. Whether facts, evidence, science, journalism still have any heft at all..

You can follow @carolecadwalla.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Become member.