Jeremy Duns @JeremyDuns Author of Free Agent, Song of Treason, The Moscow Option, Spy Out The Land and non-fiction Dead Drop. Simon & Schuster UK/Penguin US. Agent: @GreeneandHeaton Jun. 13, 2019 2 min read

Okay, another thread on How They Rule The Word by Pedro Baños. I really don't want to go through the whole book, but it seems we're at the stage where Ebury and Penguin are in denial. So here's some more stuff they decided to whitewash.

The Spanish edition of the book is 472 pages in hardcover. Ebury's English-language edition is just 336 pages in hardcover. Even allowing for typeface differences, that's a hell of a lot of cutting. What have they cut, and why did they cut it?

The book is essentially just a catalogue of conspiracy theories, and it looks like they decided to prune the ones that are most obviously crackpot. So for instance, in the Spanish book one of the sections is about Udo Ulfkotte, a far-right German writer who died in 2017.

Banos calls Ulfkotte 'one of the most prominent German political analysts and journalists of recent times', and while noting some 'controversy' uses the passage to air his conspiracy theories about the media and espionage. He doesn't mention Ulfkotte was a far-right bigot.

Just look into it for a few minutes - or read Ulfkotte's Wikipedia entry - and you'll see he's not a credible source to draw on at all. Baños relates that Ulfkotte died, and that his friends thought the CIA assassinated him for his dangerous truth-telling. He gives no evidence.

This is standard conspiracy theorist stuff - raise a mad set of ideas, put in a couple of small caveats, and then shrug 'just saying' when asked why you've raised it. This whole section is missing in the English version.

This is a pattern, like the Rothschild material (cut entirely) and the Soros material (shortened, softened with new language, and added to with an example from the right). Ebury have sanitised a crackpot conspiracy theory book. His bonkers mad material about Jews is mostly gone.

Chapter 16 of the English version is about religion, subtitled 'how to weaponise religion to gain power'. The framing of the book as strategies like this is new to the English version - it makes the run-through of conspiracies seem to have some useful purpose to the reader.

This chapter is massively shortened from the Spanish edition, including cutting two sections relating to Jews. The first is about Jews in the First World War:

Here's a Google translation of that. My guess is that this was cut out because someone at Ebury realized the obvious conspiracy crankery of this was too obvious.

Also in this chapter in the Spanish edition is a a section headed 'HITLER TUVO EN SU EJÉRCITO A JUDÍOS' - in English, 'HITLER HAD JEWS IN HIS ARMY'. The Rothschilds are secretive rulers of the world, George Soros is manipulating events, now this... it's all pretty blatant.

Here's a translation of this part. None of it is in the English edition. I don't know which historians have claimed this - he gives no citation - but I do know why he put it in the book. 'Did you know? Jews served Hitler!' is a favourite of antisemites.

I could continue with this, but I wonder... why should I have to? Why did Ebury do this, and why do I have to go through the whole bloody book pointing out every time they deliberately covered up this antisemite's claptrap? What would it actually take to make an impact here?

You can follow @JeremyDuns.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 700,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.