Rand Fishkin @randfish Founder @SparkToro, husband to @everywhereist, feminist, he/him, author of Lost & Founder. Formerly @Moz. I tweet ~40X/wk on marketing, tech, & startups. Jun. 14, 2019 1 min read

Google's updated mobile homepage says so much about how the search giant works and their future plans.
Thread /1

1) Google isn't searching "the web," anymore, it's searching "all" (meaning all of Google's resources+answers)
2) The only other search option is the world's second most popular search engine, Google Images (see chart)
3) Voice assistant, your data, & profile are secondary nav
/2

4) Instant links to weather, sports, entertainment, and restaurants suggests a more portal-like strategy than Google's pursued in a long time
5) The results for "Sports" speak loudest, IMO -- Google wants you not to "search," but to "follow" teams, leagues, etc.
/3

Just as we saw with Google+ years ago, I think there's a large-scale, but (this time) iterative effort to shift from pure search to no-search-reqd, passive-engagement content. With Discover, recommendations, Maps, & now this homepage, that strategy is becoming clear. /fin

How can I resist adding Barry's wise commentary to this thread? (FWIW, I feel the same)

You can follow @randfish.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.