Rand Fishkin @randfish Founder @SparkToro, husband to @everywhereist, feminist, he/him, author of Lost & Founder. Formerly @Moz. I tweet ~40X/wk on marketing, tech, & startups. Jun. 14, 2019 1 min read

Google's updated mobile homepage says so much about how the search giant works and their future plans.
Thread /1

1) Google isn't searching "the web," anymore, it's searching "all" (meaning all of Google's resources+answers)
2) The only other search option is the world's second most popular search engine, Google Images (see chart)
3) Voice assistant, your data, & profile are secondary nav
/2

4) Instant links to weather, sports, entertainment, and restaurants suggests a more portal-like strategy than Google's pursued in a long time
5) The results for "Sports" speak loudest, IMO -- Google wants you not to "search," but to "follow" teams, leagues, etc.
/3

Just as we saw with Google+ years ago, I think there's a large-scale, but (this time) iterative effort to shift from pure search to no-search-reqd, passive-engagement content. With Discover, recommendations, Maps, & now this homepage, that strategy is becoming clear. /fin

How can I resist adding Barry's wise commentary to this thread? (FWIW, I feel the same)

You can follow @randfish.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.