NBC News @NBCNews The leading source of global news and info for more than 75 years. Jun. 14, 2019 1 min read

Legislation designed to shore up voting machines and make it harder for foreign intelligence operatives to hack, leak and manipulate social media faces a roadblock in Senate Majority Leader McConnell.

Reporting by @KenDilanianNBC:  https://nbcnews.to/2KO1I6L  (1/6) #NBConPolicy

Some GOP senators have joined Democrats to co-sponsor security and foreign interference legislation.

McConnell has yet to allow a Senate vote on any of the bipartisan measures to strengthen election systems and make it harder for hostile powers to manipulate social media. (2/6)

The Democratic-controlled House has passed several election security and foreign interference measures, but few if any have a chance of becoming law. (3/6)

"At this point, I don’t see any likelihood that those bills would get to the floor if we mark them up,” Sen. Blunt, who serves under McConnell in the Senate leadership, said last month. (4/6)

The legislation is garnering renewed attention in wake of Trump’s comments that he saw nothing wrong with accepting incriminating info about a political opponent from foreign governments.

"It’s not an interference. They have information," he said. "I think I’d take it." (5/6)

While agencies such as FBI have stepped up efforts to combat foreign influence, there is no evidence of a policy response from the White House.

FBI Dir. Wray and top intel officials say they expect Russia and others to attempt to meddle in the 2020 election (6/6) #NBCNewsThreads

You can follow @NBCNews.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Become member.