Khanoisseur 🐶🤦🏻‍♂️🌎 @Khanoisseur Nonpartisan fact-checks + analysis of news (+ 🐶 pics). *Turn notifications on* (Podcast coming). Stuff for @Google @Twitter @Uber @Facebook @Tesla Jun. 15, 2019 1 min read

Flew into a summit on reducing CO2 on a jet that spewed CO2…👇 I get such meetings are necessary but why not hold these via videoconferencing and prove that major breakthroughs can happen without jetting across the world 🌍 spewing more CO2???

2. We now have incredible videoconferencing technology (best is produced by @Cisco) and you can seamlessly chat with people all over the world with crystal clear sound + video - so why on earth are people still flying around to “climate change summits”?

3. In Sweden, some people are ditching flying (causing a slump in airline travel): “Flygskam”, or flight shame (embarrassed to fly because of its environmental impact), has become a social media trending hashtag #jagstannarpåmarken (#stayontheground).  https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jun/04/stayontheground-swedes-turn-to-trains-amid-climate-flight-shame 

4. Echoing schoolgirl climate activist Greta Thunberg’s refusal to fly because of harm to the environment, a survey published last week by Swedish Railways found 37% of respondents chose to travel by rail instead of air, compared with 20% in early 2018.

5. Sidenote: I have ditched flying as well - my last flight was in 2017. Have been advocating use of videoconferencing instead of flying or traveling - the tech is really good now and can replace the need for many in-person meetings.

You can follow @Khanoisseur.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.