1. As a malignant narcissist, Trump will be unable to process the thought of losing a fair election. Not unwilling. Not disinclined. Quite literally *unable*. So yes, it is a certainty that if he loses, he will blame some kind of cheating or betrayal.
2. And as a malignant narcissist, Trump will do anything to avoid a perceived humiliation. *Anything.* No norm, law, or precedent will restrain him. So yes, it is a certainty that if he loses, he will call on his followers (in & out of gov't) to reject the results.
3. Trump's reaction to a loss is the most predictable thing in the world. What remains to be seen - and will probably determine whether the US continues as a democracy - is how his followers, & civil society generally, respond to his inevitable reaction.
4. I have no idea how that will go. I don't know whether there's anyone left on the right who would resist full authoritarianism (kinda doesn't seem like it). I don't know whether US civic leaders & institutions have the wherewithal to navigate that sort of thing. I really dunno.
5. But one thing's for sure: everyone needs to start thinking about this and planning for it. Because if Dems win, Trump will do what Trump does; he will be what he is. He has no choice. He's not doing grand strategy here. He *can't* accept loss. So he won't. </fin>
You can follow @drvox.
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.
Enjoy Threader? Sign up.
Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.