Charity Majors @mipsytipsy CTO @honeycombio, ex-Parse, Facebook, Linden Lab; cowrote Database Reliability Engineering; loves whiskey, rainbows. I test in production and so do you. 🌈🖤 Jun. 19, 2019 1 min read

from now on june 19th will be a company holiday for us. (kicking myself for making only mental notes the past two years.. that is not a durable write medium.) h/t @marcprecipice for the link.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2015/06/juneteenth-the-black-american-holiday-everyone-should-celebrate-but-doesnt.html 

If there's one thing having a company has taught me, it's how easy change can be.

(And I don't mean just easy for people who own companies, although yes.. that too! It's a good reason to start a company!)

Most things are the way they are because of habit or stasis, not conviction. Which means lots of things are actually very easy to change.

I have had to spend a lot of time trying to become sensitive to the power I hold, because people who don't do that are dicks. But it's made me realize how much energy we spend convincing ourselves of our powerlessness.

Same reason I look incredulously at engineers who are convinced that managers hold all the power. You hold the ultimate power, the power to *create*... or to vote with your feet and refuse to do so.

https://charity.wtf/2018/08/17/on-engineers-and-influence/amp/ 

I guess I am not of the school that sees power as something to be conserved, saved up for a special occasion.

I think you get power by using it regularly towards good outcomes. Like flexing a muscle.

You can follow @mipsytipsy.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.