Will Oremus @WillOremus oh-REE-mus. Senior writer for OneZero at @medium: onezero.medium.com/ Previously: @slate. I write about how tech shapes us. DM for Signal. Jun. 20, 2019 1 min read

OK this has nothing to do w/ tech but I am too excited & proud not to share my wife's first publication in a major journal.

In a new @sciencemagazine study, Ramesh, Rising, and Oremus find that the world's marine fish populations are more connected than we thought, and explain how that understanding is critical to saving what's left of them.  https://science.sciencemag.org/content/364/6446/1192 

Why is that a picture of a deer, you ask, if the study is about fish? I have no idea. I can only assume the editors of Science are too busy advancing the world's knowledge and wrangling peer reviewers to slap a decent social promo image on their articles.

Anyway a small cool thing about this study is that there were no senior faculty involved. The three co-authors developed the idea as PhD students and worked on it for six years, eventually completing it after they had dispersed to @UCBerkeley, LSE, and @UDelaware, respectively.

Now with a much better image than the deer! The visualization in co-author @jrising's tweet below shows how the world's marine fisheries are connected by the drift of larvae along ocean currents.

You can follow @WillOremus.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.