Charity Majors @mipsytipsy CTO @honeycombio, ex-Parse, Facebook, Linden Lab; cowrote Database Reliability Engineering; loves whiskey, rainbows. I test in production and so do you. 🌈🖤 Jun. 21, 2019 1 min read

Apparently the last time I was on Twitter my thumb slipped and I got distracted? 🤷‍♀️

I think the point I was going to make was that case studies are exercises in hindsight bias, and (for the $bigcos) recruiting and dick swinging over scale. They're just peacocking.

it's not IMPOSSIBLE to give a useful case study. I suggest:

* spend a third of your time on constraints
* ...incl human
* don't skim past opportunity costs
* or handwave migrations
* describe the characteristics of your use case that *specifically* make $tech work for you

Any real talk case study is going to involve a lot of sadness and failure. TLDR I guess trust a case study inversely proportional to how chipper and confident it sounds? 🤔. Yeah, I'll buy that

You can follow @mipsytipsy.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.