Stephen Wolf+ Your Authors @PoliticsWolf @DKElections staff writer covering voting rights, gerrymandering, maps, & poli sci. Get the free Voting Rights Roundup weekly newsletter dkel.ec/votingr Jun. 22, 2019 1 min read + Your Authors

With precinct results now available, I've calculated the 2018 statewide races for my main nonpartisan Michigan congressional map. This map splits no cities or townships save Detroit, which must be split anyway. About half the seats are bluer & half are redder than Michigan itself

Michigan's GOP gerrymanders were struck down in federal court in April, & if that decision is upheld, the state could have a fairer congressional map like this. It wouldn't automatically mean Dems gain seats, but the two Trump seats they flipped in 2018 could become more secure

Under the map in my previous tweet, new Dem Rep. Elissa Slotkin's #MI08 becomes unwinnably red, but she already represents a majority of the Clinton voters in the hypothetical Lansing-based #MI07, which is a bluer district than her existing one. She could likely run there instead

You can follow @PoliticsWolf.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader