Asha Rangappa @AshaRangappa_ Fmr FBI Special Agent, lawyer, faculty @JacksonYale. Tiger(ish) mom. @CNN analyst. Editor @just_security. Karaoke, golf, and Shakespeare aficionado. Views mine. Jun. 24, 2019 1 min read

THREAD. While on vacation, I did some pleasure reading, including The Devil in the White City by Eric Larson, about the 1893 World Fair in Chicago. It was overall a welcome escape from the daily Trump nightmare, except for one passage that struck me:

2. The creators of the fair decided to create a child care facility for visitors to drop off their children. Needless to say, this was unusual for the time period, and there were concerns that children might not get reunited with their parents, or even abandoned there.

3. They instituted a claim check system for parents who dropped off their kids. There was some fun made of the idea that this would work. And yet, with the some 27 million visitors to the fair -- thousands of whom, I assume, dropped off their kids -- only ONE was not reunited.

4. Think about that: One hundred and twenty six years ago, before fingerprints and computers and barcodes and DNA and telecommunications technology, the City of Chicago managed to find a way to keep track of and connect parents from all over the world with their kids. 1893.

5. If the sheer *cruelty* of this administration doesn't move you, consider the utter INCOMPETENCE that created the clusterfart that has resulted. They literally can't do as much gov officials did in the freaking 19th century. Just...no words.

You can follow @AshaRangappa_.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.