Charity Majors @mipsytipsy CTO @honeycombio, ex-Parse, Facebook, Linden Lab; cowrote Database Reliability Engineering; loves whiskey, rainbows. I test in production and so do you. 🌈🖤 Jun. 27, 2019 1 min read

christ, i hate it when the left acts like the worst right-wing caricature of itself. HATE it. i do not want those fuckers to have a point.

i know lots of women, queers, etc who are in tech who are happy, thriving, and fulfilled. and things are getting better. things are UNIMAGINABLY better than they were even just a few years ago.

why don't we ever hear any optimism or joy about this?

i worry that we give off such a gloomy vibe about tech that we're literally warning women away from highly paid powerful careers ... like where are they going to go? probably someplace worse! unless there's some miraculously exempt sector y'all been holding out on me

it's an alarming cycle that we're in, where the better things get, the more we hear doom and gloom.

the rules for speech and conduct are excruciatingly dense and impenetrable to most people, and can be terrifying and alienating even to our best allies. & it all changes daily.

i don't like to talk about it, but i've gotten far more abuse and vitriol from "Internet Feminists" for being insufficiently ideologically correct than i have from dudes..ever.

i'm real clear on who's the bigger problem to society. but that doesn't mean we don't have a problem.

You can follow @mipsytipsy.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.