Seth Abramson @SethAbramson @Newsweek columnist. Analyses @BBC. NYT bestselling author of Proof of Conspiracy (bit.ly/2kP6FkZ). Next: Citizen Journalist (Macmillan). Professor. Attorney. Jun. 27, 2019 1 min read

I'd caution any political commentator to be *really* careful about calling a single exchange in a single debate a "mortal wound" in {checks notes} June 2019

I know some folks in media really hate Beto for reasons that are unclear but they need to do a *much* better job hiding it

1/ I support decriminalizing border crossings, but the idea that using a criminal statute to at least permit detention in an extraordinary case while treating all other cases as non-detention misdemeanors (which nearly all misdemeanors end up being anyway) is not beyond the pale

2/ What David is taking advantage of here is the fact that most Americans don't know that we actually *very rarely incarcerate* people charged with misdemeanors, meaning that arguably the position Beto has taken on this statute is as or *more* educated than David's critique of it

3/ As anyone who's read this feed for a while will know, I *really* don't like it when commentators use Americans' misunderstandings of the U.S. criminal justice system to score political points; again, it's a fact that most misdemeanors *do not lead to incarceration* in America.

You can follow @SethAbramson.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.