Stephen Wolf+ Your Authors @PoliticsWolf @DKElections staff writer covering voting rights, gerrymandering, maps, & poli sci. Get the free Voting Rights Roundup weekly newsletter dkel.ec/votingr Jun. 28, 2019 1 min read + Your Authors

I think maps should be fair & that the party with the most votes should ideally always win the most seats so long as voters of color have an equal ability to elect their chosen candidates. That means every state legislature regardless of partisan control should have #FairMaps now

But in Congress, where the GOP can gerrymander multiple times more districts than Dem, Dem unilateral disarmament is self-defeating: Dems should draw the states they can until the nationwide effect balances out or Congress passes a national reform, which House Dems did this year

I realize this may be an unpopular opinion, but we have nationalized elections for the U.S. House. And if the voting public sees gerrymandering as something only the GOP does instead of a "pox on both houses" both parties thing, GOP partisans will never support reforms

But to reiterate, avoiding unilateral congressional disarmament doesn't give Dems any license to gerrymander state legislatures like MD's to lock in an unfair advantage. When New Jersey Dems tried the same thing earlier this year, I wrote this opposing it  https://www.dailykos.com/story/2018/12/14/1819136/-New-Jersey-Democrats-propose-Trojan-horse-reform-that-could-open-the-door-to-more-gerrymandering 

You can follow @PoliticsWolf.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader