David Roberts @drvox Seattleite transplanted from Tennessee; now blogging for vox.com/ about energy politics. Climate hawk, deficit dove. Not a doctor. Jun. 28, 2019 1 min read

Since school desegregation is in the news, you really really ought to listen to @nhannahjones on @ThisAmerLife. Totally flipped my lid and I haven't stopped thinking about it since I first heard it.  https://www.thisamericanlife.org/562/the-problem-we-all-live-with-part-one 

What I didn't appreciate (and I suspect I'm not alone) is that desegregation was basically working. Minority test scores were rising. It was difficult, but it was working. Then racist-ass white parents revolted, we reversed all the progress, and minority test scores fell again.

Dealing with the toxic legacy of centuries of racial terrorism in the US is not some big *intellectual* mystery. We know how to do it, certainly how to get started & make progress. It's just that, by and large, white people have chosen not to.

You can follow @drvox.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Become member.