Casey Newton @CaseyNewton I write The Interface. Get it by email: bit.ly/2yTbZcK | [email protected] | instagram: @crumbler Jun. 30, 2019 1 min read

On this beautiful #Pride Sunday in San Francisco, I'm thinking about an email I got this week from a Facebook moderator in Tampa. They're a queer person of color, and the job is taking its toll on them.

When I open Instagram today, I see a wonderfully diverse group of people celebrating all around the city. And because of the work of this person and their colleagues, I see none of the hate speech that people post on Facebook and Instagram every day.

This person will make less than $30,000 this year. And the job feels to them like a complete dead end.

So happy #Pride to everyone today. But happy Pride especially to the people cleaning up the internet for the rest of us, to the long-term detriment of their own mental health. We owe you a debt.

You can follow @CaseyNewton.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.