Walter Shaub @waltshaub former Director of @OfficeGovEthics now with @CREWcrew personal account - views are my own Jul. 04, 2019 1 min read

People on Twitter are going bezerk trying to dox a woman they think is celebrating the deaths of Oscar Ramirez and his daughter Valeria. She's holding a terribly misguided poster, but the person who took the photo and spoke with her says she's protesting Trump's border policies.

To be clear, I'm not saying the poster is ok. It's awful. But people are accusing this woman of celebrating their deaths, and that's not what she's doing. Emotions are high, and she may not have realized how awful it is. But this woman is trying to protest the atrocities.

Some folks seem to think I'm defending her poster. I'm not. It's a horrible. But she's not celebrating their deaths. The person who took the photograph was following a group of protesters and taking their pictures. Read his thread.

Ok, last thought on this. (I may even delete this thread because it's upsetting some folks.) The reason I felt the need to clarify what she's doing is that I made the same mistake many of you did. The poster is so shockingly awful, it's like a gut punch.

You can follow @waltshaub.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.