Charity Majors @mipsytipsy CTO @honeycombio, ex-Parse, Facebook, Linden Lab; cowrote Database Reliability Engineering; loves whiskey, rainbows. I test in production and so do you. 🌈🖤 Jul. 06, 2019 1 min read

Yes, but; this is a risk assessment game, and the risks of moving fast have to be weighed against the risks of not moving fast. If we gave space shuttle- level scrutiny to every flag flip, this industry would screech to a halt.

I know this is a weird argument coming from me, but the reason I'm arguing for better tooling is *so that* we can continue to move fast, with an appropriate degree of confidence.

It's in no way clear to me that we are "lacking in discipline and care" as an industry 🤔

and in my experience heavily moralizing language like this is unnecessary and mostly provokes defensive reactions.

Your bitcoin app is not the Challenger. Humans can't sustain that kind of paranoid attention to detail. That's why we build tooling to do it for us.

The way we ship software isn't fundamentally broken, and humans aren't weak or lazy. The elephant in the room is ok!

Our tools have gotten us a long way. Our risk assessment works more often than it fails us. But we are due for some upgrades. We can always do better! 💃🎉🕺

You can follow @mipsytipsy.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.