Seth Abramson @SethAbramson Lawyer. Professor @UofNH. Columnist @Newsweek. NYT bestselling author. Proof of Conspiracy @StMartinsPress: tinyurl.com/y484j4ku. Analyses @BBC. Views mine. Jul. 07, 2019 1 min read

Today's a good day to find out from the Trump supporters in your life whether they'll stop supporting him if it's revealed in the Jeffrey Epstein case that Trump raped children. It's important to get them to commit now so if and when that fact comes out you've got them on record.

We already know that raping women, lying 10K+ times to voters, secretly negotiating a deal with the Kremlin during an election, obstructing federal investigations, and a lifetime of cheating contractors isn't enough to cost Trump support. The new question could be, is child rape?

I've learned since 2016 that to get a Trumpist to say in advance they'll accept an anti-Trump fact, you also have to get them to expressly say *how they need that fact packaged*. Testimonial evidence and major media reporting are never enough. Basically they require DNA evidence.

One good thing to do is then pivot and try to find out what sort of evidence a Trumpist requires to convict a black man of shoplifting. You quickly find that a 30 year-old rumor from a friend of a friend of a roommate's uncle's former postman's daughter is well beyond sufficient.

Trumpism is a cult. Donald Trump is, like every cult leader, a dangerous con man. I think sometimes we hope to find systemic explanations for Trump's support when it would really be much easier to find sociological ones. Some people are susceptible to cultism. Trumpism is a cult.

You can follow @SethAbramson.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.