DHH @dhh Creator of Ruby on Rails, Founder & CTO at Basecamp, NYT best-selling author, and Le Mans 24h class-winning racing driver. Jul. 11, 2019 1 min read

Why do we put so much effort into writing job openings at Basecamp? Partly as a revulsion to trash like this.  https://angel.co/company/apex-10/jobs/584437-founding-mobile-engineer 

It reads like a fucking parody, but apparently no. This is @naval's new company. Aren't you excited to apply? Are you ready to "die inside" when a customer has a problem? To be scolded when you don't "get it the first time"? Be full of pain when "perfection" slips by?

Also, I shit you not. This is how they define their mission: "Apex helps you build better habits in fitness, nutrition and health". How about developing some of those healthy habits internally at the company first? Instead of this morbid fascination with pain and inner death?

I suppose an ad like that is likely to attract people who are just as delusional as the authors of this job posting: "Of course I'm a 10x engineer willing to work for half the pay of a senior Valley engineer, because I'm going to make it up on these startup options!!".

But it's also a fair warning to the future customers of whatever health device Apex is producing: With a culture like this, rest assured you're going to get a corresponding attitude towards privacy and ethics.

You can follow @dhh.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.