Seth Abramson @SethAbramson @Newsweek columnist. Analyses @BBC. NYT bestselling author of Proof of Conspiracy (bit.ly/2kP6FkZ). Next: Citizen Journalist (Macmillan). Professor. Attorney. Jul. 12, 2019 1 min read

I'm making an exception to my rule re: not discussing how I feel about the Democratic candidates. When billionaire Tom Steyer militated for something he believed in while saying he didn't want to run America, I was OK with him. Now that he admits he wants to run America, I'm not.

1/ In America we let billionaires do whatever they want, including, as we've seen with Trump, commit obstruction of justice and rape women and try to lie the country into war. A billionaire unwilling to be told "you can't ALSO have the presidency" is someone who needs to go away.

2/ Wealth is *not a prerequisite* for public service, *nor is it even a credential*. It wasn't when Trump ran in 2016, and it isn't now. The sooner America makes clear to its moneyed class that they have *no special hold on or claim to* public office, the better off we'll all be.

You can follow @SethAbramson.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.