DHH @dhh Creator of Ruby on Rails, Founder & CTO at Basecamp, NYT best-selling author, and Le Mans 24h class-winning racing driver. Jul. 13, 2019 1 min read

“To be an egoist refers not only to my behavior but to my character. It means: that I want everything for myself; that possessing, not sharing, gives me pleasure; that I must become greedy because if my aim is having, I am more the more I have”, To Have Or To Be?, Fromm ‘76 [1/2]

“...that I must feel antagonistic toward all others: my customers whom I want to deceive, my competitors whom I want to destroy, my workers whom I want to exploit. I can never be satisfied, because there is no end to my wishes”, To Have Or To Be?, Fromm ‘76 [2/2]

Fromm’s diagnosis from 1976 is eerily on display by much of the modern-day tech industry. Growth Uber Alles treated as a virtue rather than a vice. Celebrated with every wannabe monopolist ringing their IPO bell. Meet the new boss; same as the old boss - just more delusional.

You can follow @dhh.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.