Karla Monterroso #CloseTheCamps+ Your Authors @karlitaliliana CEO @CODE2040, Board Chair for @1Deg, @USC alum - Connected, passionate, heart-driven, wanderlust, change maker. #WiseLatina 🇬🇹🇲🇽 PN: she/her/ella Jul. 14, 2019 2 min read + Your Authors

What 🍊 said today about these women is a direct result of Nancy Pelosi and Maureen Dowd's vanity exercise. When all of them mention the danger that comes to them from being singled out as 4 women of color - they aren't exaggerating or being dramatic.

What many white folks need to learn is that when you flirt with the notion that these women are small, deserve to be belittled/put in their place, express a simmering resentment at their entitlement to their voices and opinions - you are aligning YOURSELF with quite a crew.

4 women of color on a national stage being told to go back to their countries is a natural extension of their tokenization and the amount of individual blame they get for unrepentantly representing a GENERATIONAL shift in the electorate.

They don't just represent an opinion, they represent structural shifts. And the party both doesn't understand that and resents that. And guess who else resents it?

I'm not saying you have to agree with them or your racist (before someone jumps in these mentions) I'm saying even as you disagree with them you have to hold them as your own. Not a nuisance that must be distanced.

Because when you distance them you send the message that when push comes to shove, an entire party apparatus will tweet indignation and leave them out on their own. And it's honestly the message other people of color get too.

This party will say all sorts of things to appease you and tell you, you matter. But when push comes to shove and your life becomes one where you have to stare at your passport everyday and make a decision about whether to carry it, we will not use our elected power for you.

You can't complain about our turnout when we watch this happen in the macro and micro. It is a miracle and a product of how so many of us truly understand how our lives are actually in danger that we vote regardless of it.

Sending all my love to @AOC, @AyannaPressley, @RashidaTlaib, and @IlhanMN today. I want you to know, I know what you are doing and sacrificing for so many of us right now. That I and many hold you close in our hearts. And we won't stand down.

This is why the choice to do this to them feels so nefarious. This right here.

You can follow @karlitaliliana.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.