Katie Mack @AstroKatie (a.k.a. Dr Katherine J Mack) astrophysicist/cosmologist, occasional freelance science writer, connoisseur of cosmic catastrophes Jul. 16, 2019 1 min read

I have recently been obsessing about the 🦠MICROBIOME🦠 and this is what I have learned.

Things that make your gut microbes happy:

* fiber 🥜🥬🍎
* a diet that includes lots of different species of plants 🥦🌽🥑

Things that make them unhappy:

* sugar 🧁
* alcohol 🍸

I am sure there is more to it than this but these seem to be the main points; please enjoy your salad with the understanding that all your tiny internal friends will be delighted to receive it

Also:

Q: Why should I want to make my gut microbes happy?
A: There’s still a TON we don’t know but generally speaking if you have a nice thriving flock in there you’re healthier & maybe (!!) actually happier

Q: What if I LOVE alcohol & sugar?
A: Look that’s between you & your microbes

You can follow @AstroKatie.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.