Kardashian West also worked with Trump admin to help free Alice Johnson, a grandmother who had been serving life on drug charges.
Sweden has held A$AP *without charges* for 2 weeks now alleging he assaulted people and is a flight risk; his lawyers say he acted in self-defense.
2. Kardashian West was widely mocked for meeting with Trump, but Alice Johnson went home to her family within seven days of West’s White House visit.
Then there’s Navajo woman Christina Munoz who was pregnant during her trial and gave birth as a prisoner, shackled to her bed.
3. Munoz has served 10 years of an 18-year sentence for participating in a marijuana trafficking conspiracy. She says she played a small role in the drug ring. Obama freed record numbers of nonviolent drug offenders, but experts note that the pardon process was arbitrary/opaque.
4. Critics have faulted DoJ for being too understaffed to manage all of the clemency applications that had been submitted. During Obama’s tenure, the pardon office had such a large backlog of clemency petitions many worthwhile cases simply never made it to the president’s desk.
5. Because the DoJ is too stretched thin to manage the backlog of clemency cases (partly due to the backlog generated by the criminal justice, immigration and other systems) clemency petitions get ignored until celebrities like Kardashian West lobby for someone to be released.
6. On his last full day in office, Obama announced 330 more commutations, for nonviolent drug offenders, bringing his total number of clemencies to 1,715. He has granted commutations to more people than the past 12 presidents combined. https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/obama-grants-final-330-commutations-to-nonviolent-drug-offenders/2017/01/19/41506468-de5d-11e6-918c-99ede3c8cafa_story.html …
You can follow @Khanoisseur.
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.
Enjoy Threader? Sign up.
Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.