David Roberts @drvox Seattleite transplanted from Tennessee; now blogging for vox.com/ about energy politics. Climate hawk, deficit dove. Not a doctor. Jul. 23, 2019 1 min read

I spent a lot of my vacation driving around rural areas, through NC, KY, and TN. My impression: horrible land use, bland, ticky-tacky strip-mall architecture, & economic decay. I feel compassion for those people but I have zero time for romanticism about US rural life.

Texas is a microcosm:  https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/07/business/texas-economy-jobs-cities.html 

All right, y'all can go on with your moralizing, but spare me. I grew up in a small TN town, went to college in one, have friends across the South, spent countless hours in/around/between its small towns. On vacation I spent time in Asheville, Louisville, Atlanta & Crossville TN.

Crossville's a great example: the remains of an original downtown, mostly with closed-up local shops, with big five-lane highway strips grown up around it, with Walmart & fast food restaurants & health-care services for the aging population. It's a "small town" ...

... but there isn't a single square inch of it that you can navigate without a car. Same for everywhere we went, even the tiny towns between the medium ones -- they are mostly wide spots in highways, with shuttered businesses & a few chain stores.

This is not to say there are great places to be found. It's not to say *anything at all* about the people (some of my best friends, etc.). But cruddy land use & desiccated local economies are the rule, not the exception, in the rural South.

So y'all can throw around all the coastal-elitist-Vox-blah-blah you want -- I'm not going to deny my own life experience, what I've seen with my own eyes in the places I was born & raised. I'm not going to romanticize it. Most of it is just blech. That's why people leave.

And with that I shall mute this thread and go back to wishing I was still on vacation.

You can follow @drvox.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.