A few reactions to Mueller, Part I:
1. Mueller did as he said he would and conducted himself with integrity and dignity.
2. It is astonishing to me that the huge central fact--that an enemy state undertook a massive effort to get Trump elected--was simply stipulated.
3. Even if there was no federally prosecutable conspiracy--which is unclear because as the report notes, obstruction efforts and lack of cooperation impeded them--the idea that Trump embraced, cooperated with defended and rewarded a US enemy is a massive betrayal.
4. Listening to Mueller it is 100% clear he feels Trump obstructed justice. In fact, I would say it is clear that he was disgusted by Trump's behavior but maybe I am reading too much into his emphatic, if brief, answers.
5. GOP behavior trying to impugn Mueller and his investigation was unfounded and, in my view, indefensible. They have gone from the report exonerates Trump to the report was biased and unreliable because plan A just didn't work.
6. Commentators who suggested this was a "win" for GOP were bending over backwards to find that outcome. It wasn't there. The reality is this morning's testimony is unlikely (as predicted before) to change anyone's view of anything.
7. Was very disappointed in lack of coordination among the Democrats. They failed to question in a way to build a narrative. Questions should have been coordinated and carefully vetted in advance. They weren't.
8. That said, this hearing left no doubt that the president is guilty of obstruction of justice, many counts of obstruction of justice.
9. The Dems will be judged on whether they rise to that challenge by beginning impeachment hearings.
10. You can't have watched these hearings and care about justice and not believe that impeachment hearings are vital and urgently needed.
You can follow @djrothkopf.
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.
Enjoy Threader? Sign up.
Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.