Teri Kanefield @Teri_Kanefield Author, lawyer (U.C. Berkeley). My threads are here: terikanefield-blog.com/ My author website is here: www.terikanefield.com/ Jul. 24, 2019 1 min read

(Short Thread) When people say the House Democrats are doing “nothing” to hold Trump accountable, I'll just tell them to listen to today’s hearings.

Due process takes time.

I laid out the obvious strategy from the Judiciary Committee hearings here⤵️

1/ The strategy from the Intel Committee was similar:
💠Make clear that foreign interference is an ongoing and serious risk,
💠Show how Trump’s lies and business dealings make him vulnerable to blackmail,
💠Show the extent of self-dealing in Trump world . . .

2/
💠And show that the Trumps and Russians both understood they would benefit financially from their interactions.

In other words, behavior that isn't specifically a crime can still put the nation at risk.

Schiff's finale was epic.

3/ Schiff's conclusion: The many topics Mueller could not and would not discuss mean the inquiries are left to Congress.

What is left for Congress to pursue?
💠Whether Trump or others in his inner circle have been compromised and are vulnerable to blackmail . . .

4/
💠Whether Trump is running the presidency for his own profit instead of the good of the American people, and
💠Whether Trump should be impeached.

I notice that in both hearings, Democrats were careful and judicious in their use of the "I" word, saving it to the very end.

5/ It's coming, people. If the House Dems don't carefully line up their ducks—including making sure they'll have the votes— impeachment will be a disaster.

Disasters always best avoided.😉

I'll make all my notes presentable, and then share them.

End/

You can follow @Teri_Kanefield.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.