Natalia Antonova 🐈🔔 @NataliaAntonova Writer. Biocentric universe stan. Virgin who can’t drive. @waraxandnatasha co-host. @bellingcat editor. Bylines: @guardian, @washingtonpost, @voxdotcom Jul. 28, 2019 1 min read

I know many men who’ve been in abusive relationships. I know men who are in abusive relationships right now.

What kills me is when abuse is framed as a “feminist act”

Or, in queer relationships, when it’s framed as a “oh, that’s just how the community is!”

Cruelty is cruelty.

I’ll give you a few examples of what I mean.

I used to know a guy who was with a much older man. The dynamic between them always seemed off,

The older dude thought he was some kind of revolutionary bc he barely bathed & was needlessly rude to minimum wage workers.

The older dude had money & status

He cheated. A lot. A friend who was in that circle kept telling me, “Oh you know, he’s just not interested in the tyranny of monogamy”

Sure, he was interested in a different kind of tyranny. He liked to hurt people’s feelings & enjoyed it

Everyone was always kissing the older dude’s ass and going on about how he was a heroic gay man, living his truth — but he hurt his partner

Years later, people were “shocked” to find out that the hurt had been physical as well

I knew what he was, bc I’d married a similar dude.

You can follow @NataliaAntonova.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.