François Chollet @fchollet Deep learning @google. Creator of Keras, neural networks library. Author of 'Deep Learning with Python'. Opinions are my own. Aug. 02, 2019 1 min read

I could never really understand the logic behind the modern notion of "spoilers". For most stories, knowing the overall structure in advance helps you understand and appreciate its unfolding, catch foreboding details you would otherwise have missed, etc.

I don't derive any particular joy from being surprised by unexpected turns of events. If a story has structure and meaning, then grasping the entire context is necessary to enjoy it.

In fact, it used to be fairly common for stories to start with a description of their ending...

Romeo and Juliet basically starts by telling you that two young folks will fall in love and it will be tragic and their deaths will bring peace between their two warring families. Shakespeare didn't think you could enjoy the story if you didn't know that context

You can follow @fchollet.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.