Jennifer Gunter @DrJenGunter OB/GYN, appropriately confident, lasso of truth, I speak for no one but me. The Vagina Bible (8/27), Host of Jensplaining, NYT contributor. Aug. 03, 2019 3 min read

I'm reading your weight loss book now.
On page 105 you recommend writing down 60 times a day for 3 days: "Dear God, please feed my hunger and restore my right mind."
Page 171, fat is "a repository of twisted, distorted thoughts and feelings that didn't have anywhere else to go."

There are some objectively anti-science views in the book.
A hot fudge sundae will not *checks notes* "feed cancer" or cause "food allergies."
Also, I am having trouble with, "The cause of excess weight is fear, which is a place in your mind where love is blocked."

Also, I am not sure about the science of "smudging" your kitchen with burning sage to "help clear out your dysfunctional appetites" (page 53)

There is also a lot of unattractive language in the book to describe the physical experience of being overweight and the imagery for being "thin" is mostly "bikini" related.
And, as an aside, casual sex does not cheapen women. They can make their own decisions.

Another troubling statement (page 91)
"For that is what food is: the body's support system. It maintains health and keeps the body alive. To abuse it is to abuse your body. and to abuse your body is to abuse yourself."
That sounds shaming to me.

Promoting mysticism -- which is what "A Course in Weight Loss" is -- as the way for weight loss is the definition of anti-science.

Got some science issues with "chemically processed foods" (if eaten excessively) causing "despair, embarrassment and self-hatred" and the idea that "Natural foods" will make you "more beautiful, slow the aging process, and make you happier with yourself"
Page 90

This sounds very shaming to me:
"The weight on your body is nothing compared to the weight on your heart...the sadness, the shame, the despair, the weariness."
Page 46

"Modesty is not just some old-fashioned we-don't-need-this-anymore value; it is a spiritual energy that dignifies and protects female sexuality from abuse by men and missuse by women." Page 61

"Overeating is an act of hysteria, and meditation is the most powerful antidote to hysteria"
Gonna phone two doctor friends on this @YoniFreedhoff and @drjessigold

That above quote page 196

"The more you embrace the image of a beautiful body and emotionally permit yourself to desire one, the more your subconscious mind will make one manifest."
Page 66
The implication is only thin bodies are beautiful. Which is objectively incorrect.

Haven't finished the book yet. But just thought I would let some of the words speak for themselves.

If accepting and embracing God's love is the therapy for weight loss (as promoted in the book), then no truly religious person would ever be overweight as they are replete with God's love.

This is the definition of mysticism:
"Belief that union with or absorption into the Deity or the absolute, or the spiritual apprehension of knowledge inaccessible to the intellect, may be attained through contemplation and self-surrender."
This is a large part of the book.

Mysticism is the exact opposite of science

Anyway, I need a break from the Divine Mind and God's love, so I'm going out dancing to an awesome cover band. My girlfriend bailed, so I'm taking a Lyft and I'm gonna dance all night anyway. I have to cleanse myself somehow.

Cleansing...

You can follow @DrJenGunter.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.