Rand Fishkin @randfish Founder @SparkToro, husband to @everywhereist, feminist, he/him, author of Lost & Founder. Formerly @Moz. I tweet ~40X/wk on marketing, tech, & startups. Aug. 03, 2019 1 min read

Y'know what's kinda fun?
Debunking all those lists of "most influential X in Y." Whenever I see one, I can't help but ask "what was the methodology here?"
Answer's usually: "It's based on social followers/likes" or "it's an editorial process."
That ain't the way my friends. /1

Ideally, you want to take a large (1k-10k+) sample of individuals in field X or whose bio includes term Y and look at the overlap of who/what they follow.
I know what you're thinking.
"Isn't that what SparkToro does?!"
Yup. It sure is.
That's why it can do this:

It's true that FastCompany's Design brand, for example, has WAY more social followers (literally 10X) than UXBooth. But... among UX professionals, almost 2X more follow UXBooth than FastCoDesign. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Another E.G. Among 374 profiles in our database that use the exact phrase "Technical SEO" in their bio (on one platform or another), a full 58% follow Barry Schwartz. You might not even consider Barry a "technical SEO" but he's extremely well followed by that group.

Plenty of these surprise me -- e.g. "Progressive Politics" where plenty of what I would have thought were old guard type Democrats are more well followed & amplified than the "progressives" themselves.

You can follow @randfish.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.