Charity Majors @mipsytipsy CTO @honeycombio, ex-Parse, Facebook, Linden Lab; cowrote Database Reliability Engineering; loves whiskey, rainbows. I test in production and so do you. ๐ŸŒˆ๐Ÿ–ค Aug. 03, 2019 1 min read

this piece got me whooping and cheering; another brave soldier speaking deep truth about metrics and logs! i was all ready share the gospel about honeycomb -- but he was already there. ๐Ÿ lol god dammit @nickstenning ๐ŸŒˆ๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿ˜‰  https://whiteink.com/2019/logs-vs-metrics-a-false-dichotomy/ โ€ฆ

wasn't i just saying what a damn good week it has been for logs, or the structured data blobs formerly referred to as logs?

# You need logs and metrics for any system
# You can derive arbitrary metrics from log streams
# Most metric re-aggregation is inaccurate or plain wrong

"This post is not a pitch, but if you want to see what putting these ideas into practice might look like, you should try out Honeycomb. Itโ€™s not an exaggeration to say that if you havenโ€™t actually used a product that does this, itโ€™s hard to imagine how powerful a tool it can be."

stop, stop ๐Ÿ˜ i'm blushing! ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

(jk --do keep on for however long)

and at the end, a link that made my blood run cold. read it next time you are tempted to think nostalgically about the bad old days when we had to think about You-Know-What. (h***w***)  https://apenwarr.ca/log/20190216 

i may not miss hardware one byte, but i *have* missed the dark and sardonic humor stylings of the hardware engineer.
O you sweet cynical bastards.

...in this case @apenwarr, who i do not know but followed immediately upon reading "I am more scars than person".

YES, brother.

You can follow @mipsytipsy.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword โ€œcompileโ€ to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.