Stephen Wolf+ Your Authors @PoliticsWolf @DKElections staff writer covering voting rights, gerrymandering, maps, & poli sci. Get the free Voting Rights Roundup weekly newsletter dkel.ec/votingr Aug. 03, 2019 1 min read + Your Authors

New York has a nonpartisan congressional map, but I've been trying to draw a better one. Using the actual downstate districts & Common Cause's proposed upstate map as a starting point, here's what I have so far. No cities/townships are split north of NYC  https://www.dailykos.com/comments/1875836/74588578 

The only major partisan impact is in the upstate districts (districts 1, 2, 3, 4, & 11 keep roughly the same partisanship), but I'm curious how people would draw the four divided NYC boroughs. Keeping #NY07 plurality Latino seems to unavoidably make it & #NY10 very snake-like ...

Something I like about this alternate version of NYC is that #NY14 & #NY16 become much less white, turning 14 majority Latino. 16 becomes much closer to a black-Latino coalition district. Both seats have had white incumbents most of this decade. #NY06 also becomes plurality Asian

Many have criticized #NY07 & #NY10 for combining far-flung communities, so I was curious what it'd look like if one didn't do that (by violating VRA §5?). This map turns #NY07 from predominantly Latino to majority-white. My preliminary numbers have it barely voting Obama-Clinton

You can follow @PoliticsWolf.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader