David Roberts @drvox Seattleite transplanted from Tennessee; now blogging for vox.com/ about energy politics. Climate hawk, deficit dove. Not a doctor. Aug. 03, 2019 1 min read

As I'm eating lunch, I have my local ballot in front of me. I'm reading up on the issues & candidates, taking time to reflect, carefully making choices. It is civilized. VOTING FROM HOME, BY MAIL, SHOULD BE UNIVERSAL.  https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/5/27/15701708/voting-by-mail 

Seattle has a huge affordability/housing problem. To help solve it, the city council implemented a "head tax" that would charge big companies a per-employee fee. Would have raise billions. However ...

... Amazon, which has more money than God, freaked out, halted movement on its new HQ, & threatened to take its toys & go home. So the city council backed down & repealed the tax. However ...

... that wasn't enough for our corporate overlords, so now they're sinking shitloads of money into unseating the council & replacing them with corporate-friendly lickspittles. As part of this effort ...

... they are working overtime to exacerbate reactionary law-and-order sentiment -- the urban equivalent of nationalism -- over homelessness & the rapid pace of change. In other words ...

... corporatists & oligarchs are allying with reactionaries, exploiting the fears of aging white people to make more $$$. That's a familiar dynamic nationally, of course, but now it's happening specifically within a "liberal" city. And I think it's just beginning. I think ...

... old white urban Boomer NIMBYs who now think of themselves as liberal are going to have to choose between NIMBY & liberal -- & they're going to choose NIMBY. They're going to go full reactionary, on taxes, law & order, immigration, all of it.

Anyway, so yeah, we're having a great time up here in Seattle, pioneering novel ways for aging white people to ruin everything. Whee! </fin>

You can follow @drvox.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Become member.