Stephen Wolf @PoliticsWolf @DKElections staff writer covering voting rights, gerrymandering, maps, & poli sci. Get the free Voting Rights Roundup weekly newsletter dkel.ec/votingr Aug. 04, 2019 1 min read

I've seen some Democrats claim this, but they absolutely shouldn't. Requiring citizens to pledge allegiance is hard-core authoritarianism no matter if it's the governing majority or the minority party asking for it. I objected as an adolescent, & I object to it as an adult.

I grew up in the shadow of 9/11 & the Iraq War. After 9/11, our middle school tried to force every student to pledge allegiance as Bush violated civil liberties. I refused on principle as a 13-14 year old, & I'd do the same today.

Requiring citizens to pledge allegiance has utterly nothing to do with the Constitution & the values this nation was founded upon. It is pure authoritarianism.

It is simply absurd to say you care about the First Amendment if you want to require American citizens to say the Pledge of Allegiance or the National Anthem. There’s a 200+ year history of Americans fighting not to have their speech compelled

You can follow @PoliticsWolf.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.