False. 29 other countries have a higher gun homicide rate than the US. So we are not unique. Some of those other countries have problems with dysfunctional political institutions, institutionalized misogyny, criminal gangs, and a host of problems that US does as well.
2. Mass shootings by “automatic rifles” grab the headlines (and media exposure may be “inspiring” more such shootings) but they are a sliver of all gun homicides in US - just like in Guatemala, illegal guns (mostly small guns) account for most (>70%) gun homicides in US.
3. In urban areas, according to the DoJ, significant percentages of gun-related homicides (15% - 33%) are linked with gang and drug activity. Gang-related homicides are more likely to involve firearms than non-gang-related homicides are.
4. Over 50% of murders in US occur in 2% of the nation’s 3,142 counties. Moreover, gun-related homicides are heavily concentrated in certain neighborhoods within those counties: 54% of US counties had zero murders in 2014.
5. Black men make up roughly 7% of the population, but account for almost two-thirds of gun murder victims every year.
Women and children are more likely to be victims of mass shootings and homicide-suicide shootings than they are to be victims of a “typical” gun-homicide.
6. 66% of gun deaths in the US are suicides - second only to Greenland and it’s not clear how many mass shooters were suicidal to begin. So just a quick glance at the stats in this thread should help inform better policy making instead of knee-jerk labeling and finger-pointing.
7. Last, a 2016 study ( https://www.amazon.com/Mass-Shootings-Realities-Popular-Culture/dp/1440836523 …) found that between 2000 and 2014, the US death rate by mass shooting was 1.5 per one million people. The rate was 1.7 in Switzerland and 3.4 in Finland - gun ownership in those countries is also high but US had more mass shootings.
You can follow @Khanoisseur.
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.
Enjoy Threader? Sign up.
Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.